What is this service about?
This service allows you to quickly transfer (large) files between one host to another.
That way you don’t have to download the files on your computer first and then start the upload process. Even if you have faster internet connection this can take hours. We’ve set up fast servers with fast internet connectivity so we can download a file from your old hosting and upload it quickly to your new hosting provider.
Who is this service for?
The service is for people who do web site migrations or DIY website owners or for curious minds.
What’s the price?
The main service is free. We’ll add paid plans in the future so we can keep the service going.
How it works
- Go to your new web host and add your domain there
- Create FTP account
- Create Database
- Package your old site with Duplicator WordPress plugin (free version)
- Come back to WP Move site and go to Migrate
- Follow the steps
- Enter FTP info of your old web host
- Enter the FTP info of your new host
- See the status
- Switch the DNS service to point to the new hosting provider
- Wait some time (between 1h and 48h) for the DNS to propagate
- (!) Configure your new site by visiting the installer example.com/installer.php
Currently the WP Move service only uploads 1 file at a time. Therefore you may have to repeat the process twice. 1) once for the installer.php (you can use your favourite FTP for this file as it’s very small) and 2) for the duplicator package.
If you feel brave enough you can modify your computer’s hosts file to simulate the DNS propagation only for you. Read more at Rackspace’s Support Network Page . Make sure you remove the hosts entry after you’re done testing.
By the way we’re working on a feature that will allow you to configure your new site and test it even without having to switch the DNS servers. How is this possible? It’s white magic 😉 More on that soon.